Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fitna the movie

I just watched Fitna the movie (by Geert Wilders) and I'm left with a funny feeling.

I feel... almost empty. I don't know what to think...

From the very beginning, I've been against this movie. I did not find it necessary to provoke.
I've been sceptical aswell, considered it a mediastunt.

But now I've watched it... And although I don't like racism or the attempt at taking away people's freedom of religion, I still feel grateful for this movie, despite how unpleasant it was to watch.

I refuse to generalize and lump all muslims together, I refuse to see Islam as a hateful religion, because I KNOW that Fitna is exclusively showing the dark sides. And every religion or belief has dark sides - christianity too.

Having said all that, I do hope everyone watches this movie. Everyone, muslims too.

I know how it hurts to be shown all of the most frightening and dark sides of your belief and obviously it must hurt evenmore when somebody is trying to set a stop to your belief altogether.
None the less... if one, as a muslim, can't see the constructive part of the movie also, and for that reason damnes Wilders and all from the west, well then that person is part of what the movie is about.

Light has to be shed on the ugly sides aswell, they don't go away because they are made silent. More the opposite.

It is time that everyone, muslims and non muslims, wake up and stops the gruesome things that are going on in God's name (or Allah's name). We're in the year 2008, the Middle Ages are long over.

I really hope there will be muslims outthere, that, like me, can see that this movie isn't simply an insult. I hope there will be rational people outhere that can see beyond Wilders' wish to stop the "Islamination" and instead stop the fanaticism, the Middle Ages methods and instead of that emphasize and share the compassion that Islam also consists of.

A believer (in God aswell as Allah) has to first and foremost show him or herself as such through love and compassion, NOT through hate, torment and murder...


Here's a link to the movie, it may load slow due to heavy load:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7d9_1206624103

No comments: